Sunday, November 9, 2008

Victory at all costs...

There are times when the road seems long, and the battle hard. Discouragement comes so easily, yet is so hard to push away. Oft we feel like the very jaws of hell do gape open after US. We are in battle - a battle for our souls. A battle that will be fought until, at last in the strength of the Lord, we come forth victorious. There are times (this past week was one for me) when the notion that "The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us." (Churchill) rings so very true in my ears.

When Winston Churchill was first appointed Prime Minister, he delivered a very powerful speech to the House of Commons. I've not posted the whole thing, but this part, in particular, helps me to find strength and motivation. I've clipped out a couple pieces, but largely left it intact.

"We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I can say: It is to wage war ... with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; ... That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; ... But I take up my task with buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men. At this time I feel entitled to claim the aid of all, and I say, "come then, let us go forward together with our united strength."

1 comment:

Shaunell said...

Jay, darling Jay,...I love reading your stuff. It's inspiring. :)
HOW WAS TWILIGHT?