Monday, November 3, 2008

The Gratitude Project

Well, it's no surprise to me that there are other projects out there by this same name. But, that's ok. This is my own personal project, so I'll call it what I will. :) What is my Gratitude Project? I'll tell you...

While reading The Last Lecture, the late Randy Pausch talked about showing gratitude. One thing he mentioned, specifically, was how hand-written thank you notes were generally more highly regarded than any other form. I got to thinking about when the last time I wrote a card in such a fashion. It's been a good, long while... In fact? I'm not even sure that I can point to the last time. Definitely sometime during my teenage years - if not earlier. It's kind of a sad remark on the current state of affairs in my life.

So, I've decided to get a handful of Thank You cards with the intent of finding at least one person/group a week to express gratitude to. It doesn't have to be something done during the week, either. It can even be a long (possibly?) forgotten act of kindness someone showed some time ago. A friend mentioned it would be a bit like pay it forward, only I suppose this is kind of paying backward. (I've never seen the movie, so I can't really comment on that aspect.) But, I'm hoping that it will bring me to a fuller awareness of what other people do for me, or even for others. I'm frequently grateful for what people do for OTHER people, so even that applies.

In any case, I'm excited and a bit nervous about the whole idea. In any case, it should be interesting, and I'll probably bring my project results back here later.

No comments: